Town of books
We visited Hay on Wye in the 1980's and were so fascinated with all the secondhand and antiquarian books we stayed the night. It was on our journey from London to Caernarvon Castle in Wales in our rented Citroën 2CV. We loved the quiet town and wandered around all the bookstores. Back in those days there was not much night life, now there are many pubs, inns and restaurants.
Other wonderful and weird facts:
- The Hay Festival of Literature runs from 26th May 2011 to 5th June 2011 and has been called the Woodstock of the mind.
- Hay on Wye celebrates with an Arts Festival in November (this year from the 19th to the 21st of November.)
- The town is considered to be in Wales but is partly in England.
- The B & B we stayed in had nylon sheets and did not allow us to have a bath as it was not "bath night"!
- Caernarvon Castle in Wales is connected with Merlin but that is a whole other story.
More Hay on Wye official information
THANKS TO KiloCompany FOR PHOTO